Monday, July 12, 2010

New chance at life

8:00 tomorrow morning is the beginning of a new chance at life. I start the first of 8 chemo treatments. Chemo days are called infusion days.  


So What exactly does chemo do? It works by killing fast-growing cancer cells. Unfortunately, chemo can’t tell the difference between cancer cells and fast-growing healthy cells, including red and white blood cells. As a result, one of the most serious potential side effects of some types of chemotherapy is a low white blood cell count. Fortunately I will be receiving an injection the following day after chemo (referred to as my injection day) with a drug called Neulasta. Neulasta is a colony stimulating factor. It is a man-made form of a protein (amino acid) that stimulates the bone marrow and promotes the growth of white blood cells called neutrophils in your body. White blood cells help your body fight against infection. Because white blood cells are compromised, I need that boost so that I can receive another round of chemo. wow! I'm way to knowledgeable on this cancer stuff for sure. 



On to Huntsman's Cancer Institute I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails